Sunday, September 16, 2012

Spring-tastic



On the first of July

And now mid-September

White-throated Swallow with Darvill setting

Klaas' Cuckoo


 

Brubru amongst the camelfoot flowers

lemon blossoms

The seasons are a changing.  After a long, glorious dry, dry winter there is a definite ominous feel to the approach of summer.  Recent weeks have been quite wet, interspersed with the odd humid heat wave.  Earlier in September we had a berg wind come through that pushed the mercury to 34 degrees… and I have been warned that that is just a teaser for summer. Pietermaritzburg can hit 45+ degrees - what have I done!?

The wet weather, warmer temperatures, and longer days are culminating in a greening of the landscape.  Grass is growing rapidly after widespread burning, trees are sprouting, and flowers blooming.  Several inter-african migrants have arrived.  At Darvill this month ‘we’ ringed several White-throated Swallows, and a Klaas’ Cuckoo.  Also, the arrival of the very aerial and abundant Yellow-billed Kites has really put me off my stride – I still have to glance at every one while driving and walking anywhere… eventually will I be able to subconsciously rule out any chance of them being confused with Crowned Eagles in the sky? 


Tonight we went out 'frogging', to collect specimens for a frog identification practical held for the 222 Vertebrate Zoology course.  The field guide to amphibians is a beautiful book, and hopefully it can be added to my growing library of field guides, snuggling up next to my equally stunning guide to reptiles.  Speaking of which.  I have noticed a few skinks here and there and the occasional Blue-headed Agama in the UKZN botanic garden.  Someday soon the snakes will come out.  Yay !







No comments:

Post a Comment